Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mission: Impossible

"Good morning Mrs. Mom of Seven.
Your mission Mama 7, should you decide to accept it, is to cook, clean, do laundry, pay bills, balance the checkbook, make phone calls, plan events, calendar such events and others given to you, attend, or at least get child/ren to, event, clean, cook again, do more laundry, organize, menu plan, budget funds, play with children, read books to children, pick up after children, bathe children, get them to sleep--in their own bed, nurse babies, feed children, discipline children, help with homework, dole out chores, do more laundry, drive children all over town (sometimes even out of town AND out of state) for sports, events, sleepovers, play dates (which sometimes you have to plan for them), possibly picking up more children (that do NOT belong to you) to get to said location, host sleepovers, play dates and study groups, take care of sick children, take them to doctor, dentist and orthodontist appointments (occasionally, even the ER!) without over booking or double booking any events or appointments (please remember that you can NOT be at more than one location at a time), send out school notes, bring birthday items to school and plan their parties (which will involve more cooking, cleaning, organizing and planning), find some time to spend time with each child, husband and "me time" and of course, do more laundry....and any other things that just might come up with children, husband or yes, even yourself. Be prepared. This mission, is day in, day out, every day, 7 days of the week, 365 days a year. Please do it with a smile on your face and enjoy yourself whilst working your mission.
As always, should you or any of your I.M. Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This tape will self-destruct in five seconds.
Good luck, Diana."

Do you remember that show? It was a show in the late 60's to the early 70's. My brother and I used to watch it religiously. It was of course in syndication, but we didn't care if we saw repeats. It was a fantastic show and later it came back again in the 80's sometime, but with little success. I'm sure I'm telling my age with that one, but if you don't know or remember the show, here you go:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA2KmJMKFrQ
or:http://museum.tv/eotvsection.php?entrycode=missionimpo

Later, in the 90's to the 2000's, because it was such a great show, a few movies were made with Tom Cruise as the lead. Now, I know you know at least some of these.

Well.....that is the story of my life. Yes, indeed. I am not too proud to admit it, but if I were to summarize my life, my day to day activities and responsibilities, in 2 words, just take a guess at what they would be! You got it!! Mission: Impossible!

That is what I feel like. Now, with each additional child, it always takes me a bit longer to adjust to a new and different schedule and routine. But, now, as the kids get older, this is becoming much more challenging. I am no longer in control of their schedules and activities as much. Now, they have school responsibilities, they have sports, they have friends, and one even has a job. I feel like I am constantly treading water, running around like a chicken with it's head cut off (I hate that saying, but I truly feel like I can relate these days!), scatter-brained with a bi-polar sort of disorder with racing thoughts, ideas and plans--always something to do. Some days I find the time to make a list, but I NEVER, ever get to it all. Sometimes, I make the list, only to leave it behind as I scramble out the door to goodness only knows how many errands, events and things to do. And guess what happens then? I inevitably forget something...no matter how minute. These days, I feel my age. I really do. Not so much during the day, but at bedtime...I'd rather the kids read me a story to go to sleep to. Quite frankly about half the kids probably go to sleep after me! And the mornings? Forget about it. I can hit the snooze button for hours given half the chance.

But--somehow, I manage. Yeah, sure, mostly I throw things up in the air and try to catch the important stuff as it comes back down. Sometimes I drop a few too many, but hey, I do my best. Some things, you just have to learn to let go. I also realize that pretty soon, it will be summer time. The light at the end of the tunnel. And...I do know that next year, as sad as it will make me, Andrew will be in school as well, leaving me at home all alone with a young toddler. All day long. You hear that? Only one child at home, all school year long. I'm not so sure I'll know what to do with myself. Truly! As it has been 13 years since I've only had one at home with me for that long of a time frame during the day. YIKES.

For now though....I'm enjoying my mission. I rarely choose not to accept it, though there are days I wished I had! And once I admitted that the mission really is impossible, it makes it that much more easier to accept it. So, I better get going, as my mission for the past week has been to fold and put away laundry. 14 loads folded (AND put away!!) so far in one week--we've even started to wash clothes again....we've done about 6 loads over the weekend.....and 2 of them have been put away already. Exciting, right? It's the little things.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...